Sunday, November 20, 2016

REVIEW: Dagdrömmar by Hanna Karlzon


Dagdrömmar (Daydreams) by Hanna Karlzon is one my most favorite coloring books, which is why I have chosen to review this book first. I had seen it on instagram and I had fallen in love. I had to have it.
I'm so lucky that my lovely boyfriend found it at penstore.com and bought it for me as a birthday present. I was thrilled!


Dagdrömmar was even better than I had dared to hope for. It's a stunning hardback book in turquoise with gold accents - and the birds are just lovely! The illustrations was perfect and just what I had longed for. The whole book has this lovely and magical feeling. Like anything can happen. I adore it!


One of the only problems I have with my Dagdrömmar book is the paper. All the pages has an amazing thickness and takes the media I use very well. But it's like the publisher used two different kinds of paper. Some of the pages are incredible smooth and others have a bit more texture and tooth. I prefer the more textured paper, but unfortunately these pages are a minority and I think they're a mistake.
I had a bit difficulty using my colored pencils on the smooth pages at first, because I was used to paper with more tooth. It took some practice to get to know and make my blending smooth in this book, but it was worth it! Once I got to know the paper I had no problems at all.
The paper will buckle if you use watercolors and it will eat the paper a bit if you overwork it, but it will not bleed through.

The other problem is the "finish this drawing"-pages. I really don't like when I have to draw in the pattern, so I'm either leaving those pages bare or using them for testing my coloring tools. It's a coloring book, not a drawing book.


I would recommend everyone with a harder hand to place a piece of paper between the pages before you start coloring, because the ink can transfer to the other pages with pressure if you aren't careful. Don't worry though! It can be erased quite easily.

I hope I've inspired you to pick up this book. It's truly magical!

No comments :

Post a Comment